18.1.10

Glee, the Golden Globes, Jose Garces and Conan.

So I know that this blog is supposed to be specifically about Theatre but I wanted to rant a little bit on my thoughts about certain events happening in the world of Entertainment.



First off... GLEE WON A GOLDEN GLOBE FOR BEST TELEVISION SERIES - COMEDY OR MUSICAL!!! It beat out some of NBC's longest running and best received shows that have won Emmys and Golden Globes. I'm talking about The Office and 30 Rock. It also beat out Entourage! YAAAAAY Glee! If Glee hadn't been a contender I would have loved if any of these shows had won, but I'm so excited that Glee won it!



Another exciting thing that happened last night is that Jose Garces won his first battle as an Iron Chef!!!



I watched The Next Iron Chef religiously and from the very beginning I loved this man and I knew he would win. It's also great that he's from PA! He's such a sweet natured, teddy bear of a guy... it makes me happy that he didn't have to lie and cheat his way to the top and that he's such a solid person. I can't wait to see him beat out all of the competition this season. It makes me SO happy.

Okay, on to my actual reason for blogging.

I want to express my support for Conan O' Brien. I have loved watching his show for years and it was a big day when he got the Tonight Show after Jay left. I think I can speak for all Conan fans when I say this promotion was LONG overdue. So when, after only seven months of his show they're trying to take it away from him (since they're not really trying to take away the title... just the time slot, essentially they're making it the "Tomorrow Show") I was livid. I do enjoy Craig Ferguson, but for the most part the only late night show I watch is Conan. I mean, really... why did Jay renege on his deal? He was supposed to have retired, giving Conan the spot that he agreed on five years ago with NBC. Ugh... I hate the television industry.

So how excited was I when I opened up the paper today and saw that Conan's ratings have surpassed Jay's? I know that Jay has a strong following with the older sect but the target demographic (18-49) is obviously supporting Conan. More than likely it had to do with the publicity that he is garnering due to the battle with Jay. It leaves one to wonder if this entire thing is just a publicity stunt to make the late night shows more popular... but maybe I'm just being cynical. I want to see Conan prevail, but if that means leaving NBC and going to Fox, then I hope that's the decision that he makes.

I leave you with my favorite quote so far in the battle between Jay and Conan.

"Hosting 'The Tonight Show' has been the fulfillment of a life-long dream for me. And I just want to say to the kids out their watching, you can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it, too."



And a picture of how life was before all of this happened... it's hard to see Jay doing this to Conan...

No comments: